Click here for a better viewing experience.
The first game was won by England 26- 1. I have recorded it on paper and will try to post the details later.
We have blue skies today and the wind is increasing. About 22 degrees but hotter in the sun and there is no shade for spectators on this court.
1. K (SF) supershot.
2. R (DM) to E bdry, peg high.
3. U (RF) hits R from B baulk, puts R to 2, rushes K to S bdry about 9 yards E of I, sends K to join R at 2 and gets position 4 yards at 20 degrees. Runs 1 apparently with control up to the balls at 2! Makes 9 hoops and makes three little ducks leave on W bdry with U, R and K in line pointing to the peg each about a yard apart, 10 yards S of II.
4. Y (JB) misses from A baulk into II.
5. K bounces off 1 with R near 2 and U 4 yards N of 1.
6. R hits U, makes nine hoops, NSL, with K near W bdry, U on hoop 4, Y 12 yards N of IV with a 2 yard rush on R towards the peg.
7. U shoots at Y from 4 yards W of III. Misses to IV.
03 Jan 2014 11:22AM (Tournament); 43 Readers
I will try to catch up on Game 1 while turn 8 is in progress.
1. K (SF) to E bdry
2. R (DM) to just S of II
3. U (RF) hits K from III, goes to R, puts R to W bdry 9 yards S of II and leaves K on the E bdry, 9 yards N of IV with a 1 yard rush on U to the peg.
4. Y (JB) hits K from III, goes to 4b, NSL.
5. U from III misses to IV.
8. Y makes bad approach to 1, discussion with partner, retires to N bdry, closest to R.
9. K to IV
10. Y hits R to near 5, goes to K, takes off and rushes U to N of 1, bounces off 1.
11. U hits Y (3 yards), puts Y 3 yards E of 2, R to 4 feet NW of 4, with K and U near IV, wired from R, rush for K towards peg. That took a lot of discussion between the partners.
03 Jan 2014 11:43AM (Tournament); 40 Readers
6. R sets of on a peeling break, fails the 4b peel after 3 but gets it before 6, sends peelee to 2b, makes 2b but rushes peelee into the 2b hop, so rolls both balls towards K which is a couple of yards S of penult. He is stymied from K by the used ball and tries, referee watching to hit the small piece showing. He misses into II. His clip goes onto 3b.
7. K sticks in 1.
8. Y hits U(7 yards), sends it to 5, peels K to 3 yards NW of 2, rushes R to penult, goes to the peg, sends u to 2 yards S of II, K to E bdry peg high and sets a rush for r on S bdry near the end of A baulk.
9. U misses R to IV
10. R finishes. Game 1 to England.
12. Y goes between K and U (35 yards).
13. K puts Y near E bdry 9 yards from S bdry, puts U to peg, rushes R to 1, makes 1, rushes R to a yard W of 4, puts Y to 3, rushes U to 2 and is away on a controlled break. Sticks in 4 with R close, calls referee but hoop is OK. U is in jaws of 4b, Y near 5.
14. R hits K to N bdry, sends it to near 2 and misses U, finishing a yard W of the hoop. SF asks DM if the ball moved. DM thought not.
15. U makes 4b, goes to the peg and leaves R and Y close wired on the peg, calls the referee to watch the fine take-off from R, leaves K on the E bdry 10 yards S of II and U a yard towards the peg.
16. Y is lifted to B baulk, hits K, makes 1 and sets off on a peeling break. He peels 4b after 3 and lines up to peel penult after 6 but sticks in 6.
17. RF makes leave: Y on N bdry off the end of B baulk, R three yards S of 6, K near IV with a 1 yard rush on U towards the peg
03 Jan 2014 12:36PM (Tournament); 40 Readers
18. R to III
19. K makes 4b, no rush N, takes off to R, goes off the court, leaving R a rush to Y.
I am pleased that it seems that Game 1 is now on the site for you to read. The Australian partners had long discussions during turn 17 while I was struggling with the technology. The wind has died down and the sun is out. It has become very hot, probably,y more than 26 degrees.
20. R rushes K to Y, Y to penult, makes penult with a rush back to K, rushes K to IV and rolls it to S of rover, getting rush on U to rover, makes rover, pegs out U and makes leave: Y is about 5 yards SSe of the end of B baulk, so there is much discussion, however there is no lift so R is sent to 5 yards E of II. K is on the S bdry at the end of A baulk.
Clips are Y on 1b (6 was peeled by oppo on turn 17, K on 5 and R on the peg.
21. K to III.
03 Jan 2014 1:02PM (Tournament); 39 Readers
22. Y hits R, sets rush to 1b on W bdry.
23. K, in III, moves a few inches.
24. Rush is moved to be completely wired.
03 Jan 2014 1:06PM (Tournament); 41 Readers
I missed the re-start but Y made 1b and 2b, left R on the W bdry, peg high, and went to IV. K apparently shot at Y and missed.
27? Y sent K to 4b and attempted 3b, bouncing off to the right and within a foot of the hoop.
28? K to S bdry, 4 yards E of the end of A baulk.
29? Long discussion. R to III.
30. K hits Y, sends it to 5, bounces off 5.
31. Y to IV.
32. K makes 5 as far as just past 6, shoots at R in III, misses.
33. R makes very thick take-off sending K to a couple of yards from the end of B baulk, two yards S of the N
bdry, and sets a rush for Y to its hoop, 3b.
34. K toW bdry, 13 yards N of I
35. Y makes 3b, rushes R to near 4b and bounces off 4b.
36. K misses Y to 2 yards S of III.
37. Y runs 4b, hits R gently, sends R to E bdry, 10 yards N of IV. And goes to II.
38. K is lifted to the end of B baulk and shoots at Y. Hits! Takes off to R, getting rush to 5. Faint heart never won fair lady! Sticks in 5 from 2 feet straight.
39. Y misses R to E bdry, 6 yards S of III.
40. K runs 5, with rush to N of 1b, approaches it from 6 yards, sticks in 1b from 3 feet.
41. R to 3 yards N of Y on E bdry.
42. K makes 1b, shoots at R, misses.
43. Y hits K which sends R to corner, y takes off to get behind R and goes off the court.
44. K leaves R in III, rushes Y to 4 yards NE of 2b, runs hoop but hits Y, rolls to 4 yards 25 degrees of 3b, bounces off, calls referee to check hoop, hoop is OK.
45. Y goes to III, has rush on R facing due West.
46. K misses R and Y.
47. Y gets rush on R and rushes it to penult, makes penult with no forward rush, rolls to rover but hits peg. R is near 1. Y to S bdry, facing 1.
48. K hits Y (40 yards). Wow! Sends Y to the peg with good rush on R to 3b. Makes 3b. Makes 4b with R near the peg. Bounced off penult with R 3 yards away.
49. Much discussion. Y clip is on rover, K on penult and R on the peg. R hits Y (8 yards), cuts it to near rover, takes off to 5 yards N of K, hits K which hits penult and remains close. R croquets K to 2 yards from III, joins Y on W bdry, 12 yards N of I. But R has the rush towards rover.
50. K misses oppo's balls.
51. Y hits K, rushes R to rover, makes it but is hampered, calls partner and referee, hits R, rolls both balls to E bdry, 7 yards N of IV with a rush to the peg. One ball is wired fro K.
52. K hits R, cutting it behind Y which was wired. He rushes Y to within a foot of penult, but SE of it. Runs penult by an inch or two, hampered, hits Y. Long discussion. Attempts roll to rover but gets bad position..Goes to end of A baulk. Y is near 1.
53. Clips are peg and peg v rover. Protracted discussion. Y shoots at peg and misses to just S of III. Or perhaps he did not try to hit the peg??
54. K to 3 yards N of rover.
55. R to foot or two W of III
56. K bounces off rover towards 1.
56. Y sets rush to hoop, probably wired from K
57. K misses into III.
58. R rushes Y to a foot N of penult, but not wired from the peg, calls referee to watch the peg, pegs out, 26 - 25.
England win, two games to nil.
I must go to the airport to fly out, so will not be commenting again until the Bay of Plenty. Thanks for reading all this!
04 Jan 2014 6:39PM (Tournament); 1 Readers
At 26 Oct 2021 12:03PM (Tournament) there are 5 people reading commentaries.