Click here for a better viewing experience.
The dat started with 6/8 cloud but warm at about 21 degrees.
I am putting this commentary to the web- site from my motel room at 3:15pm because the court was too far from the clubhouse to be able to connect to the internet. I intend to use more abbreviations - if I remember - to make the typing quicker: eb for East boundary, wb for West boundary, lower case for cardinal points and possibly for players' initials, y for yards, t o for takes off.
The balls appeared to be new and a little greasy, so DM, after getting agreement from the opponents, took them to the clubhouse and washed them.
US won the toss and chose to go first. England chose R and Y.
1. U (dh) to eb (unless otherwise stated this means to between 9 and 12 y n of IV.
2. R (dm) to II ( unless otherwise stated this means just s of II.
3. K (jib) at U from 3y w of III. Misses to 4y s of U.
4. Y (jab) misses R from B baulk on right.
5. K hits U to eb peg high, t o to oppo's balls, calls referee (me) and gets cannon. Sends R to 3y ene of 2, roqueted ball Y to 4y nnw of 1, starts break. Sticks in 1b with U close. (No, he did not set for a sextuple as several people asked!)
6. Y at 1 hits R near peg (15y) starts break. Goes to 4b with U on the wire at 2, K at 4 and R on eb with rush to peg on Y.
7. U lifts to III and hits R (17y), bounces off 1 with R at 2, Y at 4, leaving U on wb 7y n of I and K 4y to its e.
8. R at 2 hits Y near 4 (30y), hampered after 1, hits hits Y near IV (20y), hampered after 2, calls referee, copes, attempts peel after 3 but bounces peelee off the hoop to 1 foot in front, jawses it before 6 and rush peels it after 6. He sends Y to 5y nne of 2b, continues the break, attempts penult peel before 4b but peelee bounces off. He makes 4b and attempts straight double peel but Y goes through and R bounces off at penult. R goes to 11y s of III, leaving K at 6, U near 4, Y near rover.
9. U hits Y, sends it to 2, rushes K to 7y NW of 1and sticks in 1. Clips are U on 1, K on 1b, R on penult and Y on rover.
10. Y misses K (19y) to I.
11. U makes 1, hits K to wb 8y n of I, t o to behind Y, rushes Y to 2, makes 2, rushes Y to s bdry 10 y e of I, t o to K, rushes it to 6y s of II, sets rush for U to R or 3, wired from R.
12. R to IV.
13. U rushes K to 3, makes 3 with a rush to Y on s bdry, takes it, rushes Y to R in IV, no cannon, rushes R 3 y past 4, t o to position, runs 4 to s bdry, hits Y (6y), and has a break. He is hampered after 6 and shoots at K near 1b, missing and hitting the 1b hoop. R is at 2b, Y at 6, K on w side of 1b wired from Y, U near wb, 10y s of II.
14. Long discussion. R shoots at U and hits (17y), makes penult, rushes Y to rover, 3y short, fails the peel, makes rover of U, sends Y to IV from near 1 (not out by a few inches), U to III, K to wb peg high and t o back to partner at IV setting rush for Y to rover.
15. U shoots at Y, misses.
16. (I wrote "Y finishes" but was wrong. ). Y makes rover off R but is hampered, hits R and has an 8y peg out. Declines and rolls balls towards III, finishing 9y S of III with long rush to peg.
17. U, from near IV, hits Y (26y), makes 1b off R, rushes it to 7y n of 2b, no pioneer at 3b. He approaches 2b to 1y ne, makes it with a jump to applause, sends R to 10y S and 2y e of II, Y to 8y SSE of 4b, K and U to near IV with a rush for U to 3b.
18. Y is lifted and shoots at U from A baulk, hits and finishes. England wins first game 26 - 14.
Hoops are checked. 4 and 6 need adjustment.
Game 2, same balls. England choose to go second.
1. K (jib) to eb.
2. Y(jab) to II.
3. U (dh) shoots gently at K from 4y w of III, hits (18y) and sets rush on eb for U towards Y, 11y n of IV.
4. R (DM) shoots at double from end of A baulk, hits U (23y), rushes K to 1, 5y SW, approaches to 1y straight, runs 1 to N bdry, 10y e of II, hits Y, sends Y to 3 and gets rush on K to U, rushes U to 2 and has a break. Consults partner at length after 3 (leave?), goes to 4b, leaves K 7y SW of 2, 3 1/2 y from wb, U on 4, Y on eb 12y n of IV with rush on R to K.
5. Lift not taken, K shoots at U, hits hoop and goes to 3y ne of 4.
6. Y sends R to 4 y in court, rushes K to SE of 4, not far enough, sends K towards 2 but goes too far with Y which then hits U into the hoop. He rolls 1 to 1y straight but bounces off to 4 inches straight.
7. U is 3 yards N of 1 and can see about 1 cm of Y. He shoots at it but misses to the s bdry.
8. Y makes 1, hits Y (14y), starts a break. He goes to the peg, no peels attempted. Leave is: K on E of peg, wired from U, 3y from wb, R on eb with a rush on Y to the peg,
9. K shoots at R from 1y w of III, misses to IV.
10. R finishes. England win second game 26 - 0 and the match 2 games to nil.
05 Jan 2014 4:47PM (Tournament); 27 Readers
At 26 Oct 2021 12:04PM (Tournament) there are 5 people reading commentaries.