Click here for a better viewing experience.
There is still no practice at Marewa as we wait for the courts to "dry out".
07 Jan 2014 8:15AM (Tournament); 13 Readers
07 Jan 2014 8:47AM (Tournament); 34 Readers
07 Jan 2014 8:59AM (Tournament); 49 Readers
I lost it while refing on court 2, but Y just missed K in IV and Jenny is approaching rover, her hoop, off U, with R three y from I. She makes rover and hits Y ( 4 y), sends Y to 5y from eb, 14y N of S bdry, retires to II, with rush to penult.b
I lost the plot while refereeing on court 1. U must have failed 2 on turn 9.
07 Jan 2014 9:52AM (Tournament); 55 Readers
07 Jan 2014 9:58AM (Tournament); 56 Readers
07 Jan 2014 10:01AM (Tournament); 56 Readers
I think I lost commentary between refereeing.
Court 1. Jenny won the first game.
07 Jan 2014 10:17AM (Tournament); 59 Readers
Court 1. 4(cont
Court 1. Jenny has gone to 3b so far, now makes leave after 3b. R on eb, peg high, Y peg high, 6yW of the peg, K and U a foot apart just N of IV
Court 2. Y sticks in 2.
I have been relieved for a short break and commentary is suspended.
07 Jan 2014 10:53AM (Tournament); 61 Readers
Court 1. Jenny is making her second break, not attempting peels. She just made 2b, makes 3b hampered, calls referee and misses
Court 2. Greg put K into the jaws of 4b and attempted the half-jump peel but U went straight over K, not touching it. He showed his annoyance. He calls my reliever and hits the hoop, going to the eb.
07 Jan 2014 11:09AM (Tournament); 49 Readers
Court 1. Jenny took her second break to the peg laid up in IV.
Court 2. U declines a 3y shot at y to shoot at K, in front of rover, hits and returns to Y at his hoop, penult. He makes penult. Peels K at rover, makes rover and finishes.
NZ 1- nil games
07 Jan 2014 11:26AM (Tournament); 63 Readers
Jenny wins second game and the match while I was checking and fixing hoops after NZ won the first game on court 2. The rest of my commentary will be all about court 2.
When checked hoop 1 on court 2 was too narrow. The hoop setter used eight thicknesses of newspaper in the holes to widen the hoop to correct specification.
I think they are having lunch, so I must do the same!
07 Jan 2014 11:43AM (Tournament); 51 Readers
Lunch is over and it's now about 27 degrees, with a forecast of 28. But the sun is blazing down and the players will find it very hot. There are some wispy streaks of cloud, about 2/8, but the sun shines through them. A gentle breeze keeps it from becoming oppressive.
Game 2. Same balls.
07 Jan 2014 12:19PM (Tournament); 49 Readers
4 ( continued). He has sent U to SE of 1 after 3. Is he thinking is setting a leave after 6 with a view to an NZ tpo? Makes 4, sends Y to 6 and goes to U. R is a good pioneer for 5. No, he is peeling his U ball through 1. It finishes on the wire, not jawsed. He makes 5 with a little jump and has a rush on R to the end of A baulk. R is sent to 2y S of 1b and he rush peels U through 1. It only goes a yard through although hit with power. He leaves it, takes off to Y, makes 6 and his break is well controlled. He makes 1b off R and sends it to 4b, rushing the pivot, Y, to the W of U which is 3y N of 2b. He keeps Y nearby, makes 2b and spends some time thinking. I suspect he was going to put Y on the back of 1 but left it too far to the W. He touches U, sends it to peg high between 1 and 2 and rushes Y to the middle of the eb. He takes off to R at 3b, short, rushes R away from a good position, 4y from the hoop, approaches and makes 3b under control. He rushes R to near the peg, sends it to 5y S and 1yW of 2, rushes and rolls K to IV where he sets a rush for U to Y,
07 Jan 2014 12:49PM (Tournament); 63 Readers
5. Ken lifts R to III and misses Y to join U and K at IV.
07 Jan 2014 1:08PM (Tournament); 64 Readers
9 (continued). Ken is in play with R. His Y clip is on 1. The K clip is on 4b and the U clip on 2. He makes and has full control. No attempt at a tpo.
07 Jan 2014 1:17PM (Tournament); 71 Readers
After 1b he leaves K 7y SSW of 1b and bounces off 2b, with Y 2y from A baulk.
07 Jan 2014 1:22PM (Tournament); 70 Readers
10 (continued). He rushes K to 3 after making 2 and sets for his first peel. Good position. But he is only able to put K just in front of 4b, slightly off to the W, and probably not rush-peelable. He rushes R to the S bdry, sends it to 5 and rushes Y in front of 4. After 4 he rushes Y to 3y SW of 4b, sends
It to 2y W. Of 4b and gently rushes K to the hoop. It bounces off to 1 ft. He takes off to R at 5, makes 5, and rushes R to 7 y SE of 4b. R is sent to 1b, he misses K after long contemplation, to just past the hoop.
07 Jan 2014 1:55PM (Tournament); 66 Readers
16. U hits Y (4y), tries to get rush on R to 6 but only has a rush to the end of B baulk. Takes that rush to 4y past the end of B baulk on the N bdry, takes off to position at 6, gets good 1 ft position. Wow! Runs hoop to N bdry, hits R. K is in IV, Y is 8 Poe 9 y SW of 1b.
Rushes R to wb, 4y S of 2. He sends R to within a foot of 2b and gets a rush on Y but rushes it to 5y N of the hoop.
07 Jan 2014 2:03PM (Tournament); 73 Readers
16 (continued). I spoke too soon. He bounced back off 2b to about 2 inches directly in front.
07 Jan 2014 2:49PM (Tournament); 67 Readers
30 (continued). He makes 3b, has an 8y return roquet, hits R to the end of A baulk, sends R to rover and gets a rush on Y, rushes Y to N bdry, N of 2. K is on the N bdry in front of 3. He does not try to get behind K but takes off to it, roquets it gently an takes off for position. The ball hills off and runs into the back of 4b. He looks at it from all angles, then again. Eventually he w alms across to Y, 3y NE of 3 and walks to a position on the wb wired from Y. Thinks some more. At last he hits U to the wired position on the wb.
07 Jan 2014 3:08PM (Tournament); 68 Readers
36. Y makes 3b, takes off to oppo's balls, gets cannon, Mistake! The last hoop he made was 4, not 3b! He rushes U to 5, makes the hoop and takes off to behind R at 4, rushes R to half way up the eb, rolls to IV and nearly sends R off - but not quite. Sets a rush for Y with Y in IV and R a yard W.
07 Jan 2014 3:27PM (Tournament); 65 Readers
He calls a referee, not me, and asks for grass clippings to set the balls or repair a hole. He makes 6 and rushes K to 4, near R. R is rushed to near 2b but he doesn' make good position and retreats to half way between the hoop and the N bdry.
40. Y hits R to the peg, takes off to oppo's balls, gets a cannon, U goes to 4y W of 3 and K, the roqueted ball, too far, to 5 y past the hoop. He approaches to 4 ft, straight and goes through by a foot, not hampered. He rushes K to peg high 3 y off the wb and sends it to between 3b and rover, getting a rush on R to 2 y NE of 2b. He makes 2b, hampered and calls referee (me). He hits sends R. To 8 y S of 4b, makes 3b off K, rushes it to N of B sends U to S of Y, then to penult and rushes R to 4b, makes 4b and his break is under control. K is sent to rover and he makes penult off U with R peg high to the E of the peg. He is hampered but copes, watched by referee. Makes rover and his clips are now on 4b and peg. b clip is on 4b and U on penult. He leaves K 6y S of 3, U just E of the peg, wired from K and his balls with R on the eb about 7 y N of IV with a rush facing W.
07 Jan 2014 3:55PM (Tournament); 56 Readers
41. U is lifted to A baulk and shoots at R and Y. Misses.
07 Jan 2014 4:16PM (Tournament); 65 Readers
52. R shoots at Y, misses. R has a 2y rush on Y to the E.
07 Jan 2014 4:25PM (Tournament); 72 Readers
54. Y goes to 3y W of IV.
57. U hits K, takes off to R and misses (5y).
NZ wins the second game and the match, 2 to nil.
07 Jan 2014 4:52PM (Tournament); 94 Readers
At 14 Jun 2021 2:12PM (Tournament) there are 0 people reading commentaries.