Click here for a better viewing experience.
Another fine day, with about 4/8 wispy cloud and a breeze that could become a wind later in the day. Players are warming up. I just timed a shot that went the length of the court (thanks, Robert) and it took 11 or 12 seconds.
My IPad tells me that it has just disconnected from the modem so I will complete about half an hour before going back to the clubhouse, connecting and sending it to the site.
Game 1. We think NZ won the toss.
1. K (Greg Bryant) to eb.
2. R (Stephen Forster) to II.
3. U (Jenny Clarke) misses K from A baulk.
4. Y (Robert Fletcher) hits U from A baulk, rushes K to 3y SE of 1, approaches to 2ft straight, makes 1 with a rush to II, rushes to 3y E of II, fails to get rush to hoop, but cuts R to 10y S of II, sends R to 3 but fails to hold a good position for 2 and retires to eb 4y S of III.
5. K shoots at R, misses (19y).
6. Y rushes K to IV, sends it to 4, collects U and has a break.
08 Jan 2014 9:22AM (Tournament); 18 Readers
6 (continued). He bounced off hoop 2.
7. U hit Y (14y), laid up in IV.
8. Y shoots at oppo's balls from near 2, misses (38y).
9. U rushes K to 1, makes 1, hampered, calls referee, copes, leaves R on N bdry, middle of B baulk, Y peg high, 4y from wb, K 3y SE of 4 and U 4y SSE of K.
10. Y hits U, centre ball (22y), sends U near peg, rushes K to end of B baulk, takes off to R and rushes it to 3y S of 2, gets position 1y at 20 degrees, bounces off to 4y S at 10 degrees. R is wired from Y.
11. K shoots at U, hits (17y) to wb, 9y N of IV, goes to Y, moves it a couple of inches to fully wired, returns to U and sets rush for U to III.
12. Y shoots at oppo's balls. Hits U (25y), rushes U to 3y E of II, sends K to 3 and gets a rush on R to his hoop, 2. He rushes R to 3y SSW, approaches to 3 ft at 15 degrees and powers through. He has a break. He goes to 4b and sets a diagonal spread, with U 2y from the wb, 11y S of II, K wired from U 1 ft from the peg, R on the eb 12y N of IV and Y a yard away, so that R has a rush to 3.
13. K is lifted to B baulk, makes a double and shoots at the oppo's balls. Misses to IV.
14. R rushes Y to end of B baulk, pass rolls, Y to 2 and R to rush U to peg high on wb, pass rolls to 2y position, straight. Consults partner and retires to N bdry due N of Y, 6 y away. U is left 2 y N of 1 and K is in IV.
15. U shoots at K. Hits.
08 Jan 2014 10:20AM (Tournament); 41 Readers
15 (continued). Makes 2 and 3 with not much control and bounces off 4, with K still in IV, R 5y N of 5 and Y peg high on the eb.
16. R misses Y (16y).
17. U hits K (10y), sends K to 5 going to oppo's balls, rushes Y to 4 and has a break. She goes past 4b! Calls partner before penult and they discuss the leave. She runs penult to 3y past R, which is peg high, 1y E of the peg. Y is almost touching W wire of penult and K is 3y NW of the peg. She roquets R gently, puts it to 2y from the wb, peg high, rushes U to the N bdry, 7y E of II, leaves it there and rushes Y to peg high on the eb. The contact leave is completed by U going to IV. The U clip goes onto rover. Y clip is on 4b and the other two on 1.
18. R takes contact from K, takes off to Y, sending K in court 4y, rushes Y only a couple of yards S, pass-rolls, Y going to between 4 and IV, hits U, sends it to a yard W of1 and sets up a rush for 1 near IV.
19. U shoots at Y, misses and hits a tiny part of R behind Y. She sends R to S of 1, and croquets Y off court 5y W of III and U goes 2y E of K.
20. Y shoots at possible U/K double, hits U. He appears to be about to make 4b as he sends U to penult, K to 4b, calls referee as K is in the jaws, takes croquet after trouble setting the ball, plays gentle shot bouncing back to position and runs the hoop. He goes to penult and sticks, with U very close.
21. K takes the lift to A baulk, rushes R to 1 (1y) makes 1 and should have a break. He sends R to 3, and has a 4ft shot at Y from the side. He hits it, peeling it, and rushes U to 2 y W of 2. Approaches 2 to 2 ft straight, makes 2 and has a controlled break.
08 Jan 2014 11:22AM (Tournament); 77 Readers
08 Jan 2014 11:34AM (Tournament); 70 Readers
22. Greg makes 1b and sets up to peel partner on the way to 2b from 5 ft. The peelee misses the hoop on the right but he makes 2 b, and has control. He sends the peelee to 4b as the pioneer, makes 3b and 4b and sends the peelee to about 3ft NNW of rover, makes penult, sends Y to 3y N of the end of A baulk, sets up for the straight rover peel from 2 ft, peels U to a yard from the S bdry, going through himself, and finishes.
First game to NZ.
08 Jan 2014 11:57AM (Tournament); 57 Readers
They are not taking lunch.
1. R (Stephen Forster) to eb.
2. K (Jenny Clarke) to II.
3. Y (Robert Fletcher) hits R from A baulk, sets rush for R on eb to II.
4. U shoots from III, misses to IV.
5. R rushes Y to 1y S of II, sends K to 3y E of 3, sets up a rush for R to 1 in II.
6. K shoots at oppo's balls, misses.
7. R puts K to 3 y towards 2 from II, tries to get behind U but touches it, attempts to roll 1, leaves U 1 ft NW of 1 and returns to IV.
8. U misses balls in IV.
9. R rushes Y to 5 ft NE of 1, fails to get position and leaves R 4 inches in front of the hoop, straight, with Y still 5 ft away, but now NNE.
10. K shoots at Y (27y), misses.
11. R makes 1, rushes Y back to S bdry near K, rushes K to IV, U to 3y ENE of 2, fails to get position and retires to S bdry, getting a 5y rush on Y towards 4. K is on the other side of 4 by 5 yards.
12. U shoots at Y, misses (28y).
13. R hits U to IV, sends it to 5y S of 3, rushes K to 1, takes off to behind Y and rushes it to 7 y S of 2. Approaches to 3 ft and bounces off to 3 inches straight.
14. U shoots at R, hits hoop and remains 3y S of 2.
15. R makes hoop and gets a rush on Y to 4y W of 4, takes off to K and rushes it too behind U, rushes U to 3. K is left 9 y S of 2. Makes 3 with a 9y return roquet, misses to N bdry near end of A baulk. K is 7y S of 3.
08 Jan 2014 12:51PM (Tournament); 64 Readers
16. U hits K to eb, takes off and rushes Y to 1, makes 1, rushes Y to between 1 and I, takes off to K and rushes it to 1y S of II, takes off to R near the end of B baulk, but does not get rush back to 2, sends R to 10 y S of 3 and gets 2 y position on 2, declined and joins K on wb near 2.
17. R shoots at Y but hits 1, going to bdry S of Y.
18. U rushes K to 2y W of R, sends it to bdry S of 4, puts R near 5 and rushes Y to 6 y S of 2. Approaches to 10 inches, straight, makes hoop and hits Y, rolls back S, sending Y to 4 y N of 1. Hits R, sends it to 4 and rushes K to 3 yards S of 3. Fails to get good position and retreats to eb12 y S of III, 7 y from K.
17. R hits Y, goes to oppo's balls and starts a break.
08 Jan 2014 1:38PM (Tournament); 67 Readers
That should have been 19.
19 (continued). Actually he only made 4 and K is sent to 5 y N of 2, probably wired from U which is 2 ft SE of 6. He sets up in I with a rush for R to K or U. There is probably a double for one of them.
20. U shoots at K, misses.
21. R rushes Y N and puts it to between 2 and II, going to U. U is sent to 6 and K rushed into that hoop, in error. He attempts to pas-roll to the hoop, puts his ball NW of the hoop by an inch or two and retires to I.
22. U misses K to the end of A baulk.
23. R misses U from I to IV.
24. K misses U.
25. R misse from IV to I.
26. K rushes U to I, no cannon, rushes R to 1, makes 1 with a 7y return roquet, snicks it, (I lost power and now...) he is attempting 2 from 3 1/2 yards. Makes it to applause! U is a couple of yards S of 6, R a couple of yards NW of 1. He takes croquet from Y, sending it to 4 and getting a 6y rush on R towards U. Hits it to level with peg, gets rush on B to 3. Rush goes to 4y W of 3. Approaches to 2y, angled . Contemplates. Jenny joins him on court. Retires to 6y S of III on wb, 8y from U.
27. R misses U to III (12y).
28. K hits R. Has a set break.
08 Jan 2014 2:11PM (Tournament); 72 Readers
28 (continued). But fails to rush U closer to 3 and has angled position for the hoop. Long discussion.Retires to N bdry, guarding the shot from Y at U.
29. R shoots at Y (13y), misses and hits hoop, leaving R with a rush to 5.
30. U misses K (8y).
31. R rushes Y to 5, approaches from a yard but goes sideways and retires to IV.
32. U hits K to 3y SW of II, takes off to hoop but fails to get position and retires to N bdry.
33. Y shoots at R in IV, misses (20y).
34. U rushes K to a yard in front of 3, makes it and takes off to the oppo balls in IV.
The wind is now substantial affecting the balls and the players' swings. There is still a mostly blue sky, with 1/8 cloud.
Jenny rushes R to 3y N of 4, takes off to and makes the hoop and hits Y (6y). Our little shelter is just surviving the gale.
She sends Y to 6 and misses a 3y cut rush on R to 5. U goes to the wb just N of peg high.
35. Y hits K (7y), leaves it 3y NE of 3, takes R to 3 y W of 2, and attempts a 14 yard pass-roll to 1. The wind dies and his ball falls short by foot. He retires to the wb, W of 2 and R.
36. U misses K.
37. Y rushes R to oppo's balls near III, leaves U 10y S of III and R 10 y W, both off the boundary by a yard, rushes K to the S bdry, approaches 1 to 4y at an angle, runs the hoop to the N bdry, and misses K, peg high, to 3 y E of I.
38. U misses K (28y). It was hit straight at me but was blown off by the wind.
39. R to II.
40. K hits U, croquets it to between 3 and III, going to R in II, sends R to 2y S of 4 and sets a rush for K to 3.
41. R shoots at Y near I, misses.
42. K makes 3 off U, long return roquet, hits, rushes U to III, takes off corner to corner to within 4y, hits R and sends it to a yard S of 1, rushes Y to 3y SE of 4, gets 4 ft position, powers through, sends Y to 5y S of 2 and gets rush on R to 7y S of 5. Takes off to hoop but fails to get position and retires to 3y W of U in III.
43. Clips at Y on 2 and the other three on 5. R shoots at U, misses.
44. U sends R to 7y W and 3y S of III, rushes K to the N bdry, rolls K out to peg high, 5y from wb, and rushes Y to 3y N of 5. Bounces off.
45. Y misses K (12y) to wb opposite 2.
46. U sticks in hoop but faults with a double hit. Opponents have the ball put back.
47. Y misses K and U to 5y W of IV.
48. U runs 5 by a couple of feet and misses K
08 Jan 2014 3:22PM (Tournament); 63 Readers
49. R misses K.
50. K hits U, rolls both ball to III and sets rush to 6 for U.
51. Y hits K (35y), puts K to 7y S and 1 yW of III, rushes U to R on the wb, rushes R to 2, makes 2, rushes R back towards R but it goes 8 y past, takes off to behind U and rushes it to the eb, 3y S of III, send it to 8y S of 3 and approaches 3 to a yard. Makes 3 with a long return roquet, hits it to III, sets up a break and takes it to 4b, leaving K near (4y) wb, two yards N of peg high, U halfway between 3 and 4 and r near IV with a rush towards U.
The other clips are R and K on 5, U on 6.
52. U is lifted to A baulk and shoots at R. Misses. Is in contact with R.
53. R rushes Y to an inch of 5, makes the hoop, sends Y to 1b, rushes K to W bdry, peg high, takes off to 6 but bad position, so retires to near II.
54. K shoots at U (30y), misses and both NZ balls are near IV.
55. R rushes Y to near peg, takes off to oppo's balls, hits K and puts it to near 4, rushes U to a yard W of 6, bounces off.
56. U hits R, has a break.
08 Jan 2014 4:13PM (Tournament); 48 Readers
56 (continued). She makes 6, 1b, has an angled approach to 2b, jumps through, makes 3b, 4 b and goes to partner to discuss how far she should go Makes penult but goes to 5y S of rover, hits Y at rover up to the other two balls near penult. She consults then sends Y to 9y S of 3, R to wb opposite 2, puts K off the end of A baulk and U 11y N of I.
57. R takes contact off U, goes to K, makes really good split shot to get rush on Y to 6while sending K to 1b, makes 6 and 1b and has a break.
Something I ate at lunch has disagreed with me and I am not feeling well. I will discontinue the commentary.
08 Jan 2014 4:37PM (Tournament); 41 Readers
At 26 Oct 2021 12:23PM (Tournament) there are 5 people reading commentaries.