Click here for a better viewing experience.
A beautiful sunny day with not a cloud to be sen in Mt Maunganui. The courts are only about three ayers old but are in fine shape, probably not as fast as some would like as it rained the day before last.
I've had more problems connecting but suddenly got through after waiting 15 minutes to get into the commentary box.
1. K (Jim Bast) to eb.
2. Y (Robert Fletcher) short duffer tice to a yard NNE of 6.
3. U (Danny Huneycutt) misses duffer to S bdry.
4. R (Tim O'Leary) hits U goes to 4b, sets leave with K on 2, U on 4 and giving Y a rush on R to 1. The ball at 2 may be rushable to 1 and the oppo's have a long look.
5. U is lifted to III and misses Y to IV.
6. Y rushes R to 1, makes the hoop and has a break.
On an adjacent court David Maloof, playing with Ben Rothman against Ken Bald and Malcolm Fletcher made the first break. Malcolm hit from III and has reached hoop 4 with control.
6 (continued). Something went wrong and Robert approached 3 from just S of the end of B baulk. He had a straight 2 1/2 yard shot, looked at it for a while and powered through to the S bdry, hit the ball near 4 and regained control. He is starting a delayed triple. He rushed the peelee up to 4b after 4 and set for the first peel before 6. The peele goes almost through and the peel is completed after 6. He sends the peelee to penult makes 1b and his TP is on track.l
Malcolm has completed the first break and leaves an NSL. Ben lifts the ball near the wb to A baulk, misses. Ken has his break under control but has not started peeling yet. He has reached 4.
I just tried to send this commentary to the website but it did not succeed. I will continue to comment and send it later.
11 Jan 2014 9:55AM (Tournament); 56 Readers
Hooray! I copied the text, signed out, signed in, pasted the text and it went to the website.
6(continued). Robert completed the penult peel before 2b and the rover peel before 3b. He is now for penult, which he makes and finishes. 1 a nil to Australia.
Ken Bald has gone to the peg and seta a diagonal spread. His partner is on 4b.
11 Jan 2014 10:00AM (Tournament); 59 Readers
Ben Rothman lifts the ball near the wb and shoots from A baulk. He hits!
I've not seen a ball stick in a hoop today but I've only been watching US v Australia. The tension will be more in the England v NZ match.
Ben just bounced off 3 as he attempted to start his tp. Malcolm's ball was close and he has made 4b and penult already
1. K (Robert Fletcher) to eb.
2. R (Danny Huneycutt) to just S of II.
3. U (Tim O'Leary) misses K from A baulk.
4. Y (Jim Bast) misses from III to IV.
5. U makes 1 and has a break.
On the adjacent court Malcolm finishes. Australia 1 - nil.
The third US v Australia match has been more of a mess. After attempts at tps and a tpo the Aussies have clips on 4b and 5 with the US clips on 4b and 1. Jeff Soo is setting a leave.
On the adjacent court Malcolm hits on turn 3 after a supershot start by Ken and a dribbled miss by Ben. He approaches 1 from six yards SE and gets a 1 foot straight position. He makes 1 and is away on his break.
5 (continued). While I've distracted myself Tim has stuck in 6.
6. Jim makes 1 and has a break.
11 Jan 2014 10:34AM (Tournament); 62 Readers
6 (continued). Y (Jim) has got to 1b. He goes to 4b and sets a diagonal spread.
7. Robert lifts K from near the wb and shoots from A baulk. Hits!
In the third game Rich has failed 1, Ian Dumergue hit and the Aussies are setting a leave.
On the adjacent court Malcolm stuck in 2b, David Maloof has gone to 3 and has a break.
11 Jan 2014 10:45AM (Tournament); 67 Readers
My IPad just
My IPad just told me it was too hot and would not continue until it became cooler, so we are both now in the shade.
7 (continued). Robert has started on a tpo, jawsing Y in 4b after making 3. He completes the first peel before 5. Both pioneers at 5 and 6 are precisely a foot in front of the hoops. He has a big shot after 5, rolling R to 1b (1 ft) and going to the peelee, Y, near the N bdry. He makes 6 and has a 3 yard position for the peel. It goes through by 4 yards. He completes the rover peel before 2b.
David Maloof goes to 4b and has a diagonal spread. Malcolm shoots from III and misses to IV. Ben rushes to 6y W of 1. Makes the hoop and has a break. Can he triple?
On the court behind me, out of sight, Ian Dumergue is starting a tp. To see what is going on I have to walk a few yards, which I guess is good for me.
11 Jan 2014 11:12AM (Tournament); 88 Readers
7 (continued). After 4b he sends R to rover uses U as his pioneer for penult and keeps Y close as his escape ball. He makes penult and jawses U in 6, it's hoop. He has a long discussion with Tim before proceeding to rover. He makes rover, leaves R 7y S of 2, completes the peel of U through 6, sends U to near the eb ( a dangerous stroke) and rushes Y to the peg to peg off both Y and K, leaving Danny, R, with a contact.
8. He splits U to 7y E of 2, but R goes to 6y W of 1. He fails to get in front of 1 on the continuation stroke.
9. U (Tim) fails to get in front of 1b.
10. R goes to 1 ft from 1.
11. U goes to peg high eb.
12. R makes 1, sets up in front of 2.
13. U hits R (25y) to applause, does not get good position.
14. R takes position at 2.
15. U hits R again, centre ball, to 1y S of II. Gets better position, 1y at 20 degrees, makes 1b and misses R to S bdry.
16. R hits U (16y), plays massive split and bounces off 2 from 2 1/2 yards, sending U to 3.
17. U takes position at 2b.
18. R takes position at 2.
19. U makes 2b, fails to get position at 3b.
20. R makes 2, takes position at 3.
21. U goes to peg high between 1 and 2.
22. R take better position at 3.
Adjacent, Ben jawses his partner ball from an angle in 4b after 3 and completes the first peel before 5. Going to 5 he puts the peelee in the jaws of penult, to applause.
11 Jan 2014 11:39AM (Tournament); 91 Readers
23. U moves 2 ft.
24. R takes even better position.
25. U calls referee to watch, misses to III.
26. R makes 3 and takes position at 4.
27. U to peg high wb.
28. R makes 4, goes to end of A baulk.
29. U to wb wired from R, peg high.
30. R moves 3y E.
31. U moves S to remain wired.
32. R to eb level 9y N of IV.
33. U to wb, level with 1, wired?
34. R. Moves 2y N
35. U to S bdry, 2y E of I.
36. R moves a yard S.
37. U hits R (30y, fails to get position for 3b, retires to IV.
38. R from peg high between 3 and 4 takes good position at 5.
39. U hits R to 3y from wb, plays a big split, sending R to 4y W of 4b, takes position, not wired but 2 yards out.
40. R shoots. Moses to S bdry.
41. U hits R ( 5y), makes 3b to 2y N of 4b, hits R from 4 y S of 4b, makes an angled 4b, rushes R to penult, and finishes. Australia wins, 2 - nil.
That was a hectic half hour as they were playing very quickly and I could only just keep up. I lost track of the other matches.
11 Jan 2014 12:00PM (Tournament); 81 Readers
At 19 Oct 2021 3:17PM (Tournament) there are 4 people reading commentaries.